This is a blog about Rachel's travels in France during the summer of 2011.

Monday, August 1, 2011

L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue and Lourmarin

Bonjour!

I love double field trip days! To day i went on two separate field trips; this morning my art history class traveled to a town called L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue ( pronounced: eel sur la sur) and in the afternoon my photo class traveled to a town called Lourmarin. L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue is a decently sized town, a population of around 18,000 people, is well known for its vast amounts of expensive but exquisite antiques. The town's name translated to "The Island on the Sourge" which is the name of the river that runs through the city. I might have mentioned the Sourge river earlier, because when we went to Fontain de Vecluse, the spring we traveled to was the source of the Sourge river. The water was the clearest water I have ever seen outside of a bottle. We could see strait to the rocky/algae filled bottom.  We went there to tour the cathedral in the heart of the city. The inside of the church is richly decorated in the Baroque style with LOTS of gold paint and intricate details. After a look in the church we split up and ventured through the town. Our first stop was of course the bakery, but our next stop was an antique "mall." The sign said that there were about 30 vendors, but since lots of things are closed on Mondays in France, we only went into about 10. All of the stuff was really cool, and I found a great illustration in my price range, but had no money on me :( I took photos of my favorite paintings though, and I'll hopefully be able to replicate some of them for my room when I get back to Savannah. My photo class traveled to Lourmarin, which is full of tourists, to do some subtle shooting of the tourists, hopefully without their knowledge. This means that 30 college students flooded this tiny town, (pop of 1,000) all of us taking creeper shots of everyone we could find, in hopes of a decent shot. It was a really funny experience. After dinner we had our first meeting about the end of the semester gallery show. I can't believe we're already talking about the end of the summer! I feel like we just got here :( Also, I have nothing good to enter so far. We'll see what happens.

Au Revoir



No comments:

Post a Comment