This is a blog about Rachel's travels in France during the summer of 2011.

Monday, July 4, 2011

Ochre Factory and Ceder Forest

Bonjour Reader and Friend,

This Fourth of July was a day of excellent field trips. The day started with a field trip for my art history class to an ochre (pigment) factory that was in business making red, orange and yellow ochre from the 1920s to the 1960s. The ocher was used to add to bike tires to give the latex stability, but when plastic became popular, the ochre factory went out of business. Today ocher is still used to make paints. Funny story, while at the factory, we had to go down some stairs and of course I missed the last step and fell flat on my face. The people behind me, though, thought that I fell because I passed out....so I may have made a fool of myself and scraped my leg again, but at least I didn't pass out. In the afternoon, my photo class went on a field trip to a ceder forest, called Foret Des Cedres, that was about 15 minutes away. The forest was rather boring except for the random, creepy teepees made out if sticks and branches. I rather liked them. Also, I must admit that it is super cool that I get to go on field trips all the time for my classes. I hope this was an interesting read!




Au Revoir

2 comments:

  1. Why did the ochre factory go out of business if people still need paints?

    Sounds like fun! I'm so glad you didn't pass out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm not sure...?
    and i'm glad I didn't either because I do not want to deal with foreign hospitals

    ReplyDelete