This is a blog about Rachel's travels in France during the summer of 2011.

Monday, July 11, 2011

Sidewalk Arts and The Cathedral of St. Anne

Bonjour!


As I mentioned last time, the 4th annual Sidewalk Arts festival of Lacoste was yesterday and I decised to re-create Van Gogh's Starry Night, I thought that I would post a photo of the completed work, in case you don't have facebook. This morning my Art History class took a field trio to the nearby city of Apt to see St. Ann's Basilica to see the relic shroud of St. Ann, who according to the catholic church was the mother of the Virgin Mary. The shroud has been dated to between 1076 AD and 1077 AD.....so yea. It is one of the oldest surviving pieces of linen in the world,  and was used by Charlemagne, so that's pretty cool. Tonight is probably going to be fairly boring though. I'll just be writing my Art history paper on Van Gogh's Lilies. For some reason, all of Van Gogh's work that I like the best was all made while he was in an insane asylum. Cool.

Au Revoir!

1 comment:

  1. I love the starry night! You give Van Gogh a run for his money. Not sure what it says about you that you like his works from the insane asylum. Hmmmm!

    ReplyDelete