This is a blog about Rachel's travels in France during the summer of 2011.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Paris Day 2: Already Pooped

Bonjour!

So today started off really cool, but didn't end so well. Most of our group went to the Louvre today, but since today was the only day this week forecast for sunshine, even though the temperature was still in the 50s today, we decided to see the outdoor attractions today. We started off the day with the Paris catacombs. Even though we got there 20 minutes before they opened, we still were waiting for 2 hours. They were worth the wait though, there are over 6 million corpses stacked in the catacombs and it is really cool lookin. After the catacombs, we went to a little grocery store to buy a quick lunch and walked to the Luxembourg Gardens to have a nice picnic in the park. It was so beautiful. After the gardens we walked to the Pantheon, which was huge and had beautiful paintings. After the Pantheon we walked up to Notre Dame, but I didn't have time to wait in line to go in because I had to go to the European Photo Museum with our photo professor. I had never heard  of  most of the photographers in the museum, but the images were soo heartbreaking. There were series on blind children, women in prison, war, Parisian prostitutes, AIDS, and the civilian victims of land mines. After the museum I was alone and was supposed to meet up with the others at the Eiffel Tower at 7:30, but thanks to the stupid metro system I didn't get there until 8:10. Thinking that they probably stopped waiting for me, I found another SCAD group and went to the top with them, only to see the rest of my group waiting to go up, once I was waiting in line to go down. We decided to meet back at the hotel, but thanks to the lines it was already 10:45, none of us had eaten dinner yet, and it had just started to rain. I got on the closest metro station, but thanks to the Tour De France on Sunday, my stop was closed so I had to get off early and then they bussed us to the next stop, which took forever! I finally go back to the area of the hotel, and began my hunt for fast, cheap food to go. This is what brought me to eating my first and hopefully only McDonald's meal while in France. It was so delicious and warm though, and I finished off with a macaroon from laduree  for dessert. Now I will go to sleep.

Au Revoir

1 comment:

  1. McDonald's? Yuch! Glad you're OK. You sure do have good friends, huh?!

    Love your descriptions of the paintings and photos. You're seeing some wonderful stuff.

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete