This is a blog about Rachel's travels in France during the summer of 2011.

Friday, July 22, 2011

Versailles!

Versailles Palace

Marie Antoinette's little village


Petit Trianon

Bonjour!

Today was a fabulously relaxed day. We all got up really early so that we could catch the 45 minute metro ride to Versailles and still be there by the time it opened around 10. I know most people hate it, but I love Sofia Coppola's movie, Marie Antoinette. I'm obsessed with the costumes and I love how beautiful all of the settings were, so I was really pumped to finally go to Versailles. the first thing I was surprised about is how close the surrounding city is to the palace entrance. The entrance looked like any other large, historic building in Paris, but that annoyance soon ended. the first thing we tackled was the main building. That whole tour was pretty epic, but it was really crowded with thousands of tourists and annoying tour groups, so definitely not my favorite part of Versailles. Since it had begun raining a little, we decided to take the shuttle tour, whose first stop was the Grand Trianon. It was pretty, and we decided that it was Meghan's house. The next stop was the Petit Trianon which is the "small" house that King Louis XVI gave to Marie Antoinette. It was soo cute! and we decided that it would be my home. We then walked to the village of Hameau de la Reine, which is the village that Marie Antoinette had built so that she could live the life of a "country farmer." The village was the cutest place i have ever seen. it consisted of 9 buildings with lots of little fields, gardens,and vineyard surrounding them. The whole village looked as if a fairy tale cad come to life. I think that of any place in the world, Hameau de la reine would be the place that I would want to live the most. It was fabulous. After we returned to the hotel I did a quick watching of Marie Antoinette so that I could excitedly spot all the places I had been today. Hopefully early to bed tonight, and tomorrow I will shop till I drop, or till 6 when I have to be back at the train station to return to lacoste.

Au Revoir

No comments:

Post a Comment